Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Yummy Ziti

Upon request of Loni, here is my ziti recipe and it's freaking awesome!

This is a Rachel Ray 30 minute meal. The first time you make it I guarantee it will take longer! Once you have made it once or twice you get the hang of it though. You are gonna need 2 pots and a frying pan or big skillet. Also beware that this is VERY cheesy! If you do not like a lot of cheese, I suggest you cut the white cheese sauce in half. If you like a lot of cheese, like Cody and I, then make the recipe as I type it the first time just to see if you like it that way but this is some seriously yummy ziti! So here we go:

Cook ziti noodles as according to the box. It takes about 15 minutes for the noodles to cook. Cody and I like using rigatoni noddles because they are huge and hold the sauce better but you can use whatever you want. Also, I always use wheat noodles but Cody doesn't think the wheat ones work with this recipe so I caved and do white pasta!

While the pasta is cooking start a skillet with Extra virgin Olive oil and some chopped garlic. About 3 tablespoon olive oil and 4 cloves of chopped garlic. Once that gets hot add one 28 oz can of Italian Style Tomatoes and crush them up and also add a 15 oz can of tomato sauce. Cook that for a couple of minutes and then turn down the heat and simmer. Add some chopped up basil ( I just use dry but she uses fresh ), salt and pepper. I add oregano as well. Let that simmer until your noodles are done.

While that is simmering start a new pot with 2 tablespoons butter until melted and then add 2 tablespoons of flour and stir together. Give that a minute and then add 2 cups of milk. Let that cook for a minute or so and then add some nutmeg, pepper and a tiny bit of salt. Let this thicken a little and then add 2 cups Asiogo cheese ( I usually get an Italian cheese blend that has the asiago, Parmesan, Provolone and mozzarella ) Once this thickens you can take it off the heat.

In an 13x9 pan add noodles, red sauce and white sauce. Mix together really well and then add mozzarella just to the top. Broil it until the cheese is melted or put some foil on it and cook for 15 minutes.


If you try this recipe, let me know if you like it. We love it and pretty much everyone we cook it for loves it too. Cody likes to add Italian sausage as well but I'm not a fan of meat so we just do half and half. Also Cody and I half this recipe for the two of us and he usually has left overs to take to work the next day. ALSO, it makes a good red sauce and we use it for all sorts of things! Just last night we had raviolis and I made this to go with them and it was good. ENJOY

3 comments:

Sandy said...

sounds way good! I'll have to try it sometime!

Kade and Emily said...

That sounds really yummy. We do well with tomatoe based dinners around here, so we'll probably have to try it!

Kade and Emily said...

ooops. tomato.