Thursday, April 3, 2008

T-O-Y-S

Tyler loves this sign language show called "Signing Time" on PBS. Its awesome because it teaches kids not only sign language but things like, manners and their ABC's. Tyler loves it because it has lots of singing and dancing as well. He loves when I sign him the alphabet! In fact, if we start to sing the alphabet and I don't start signing it for him, he usually gets mad or tries to sign it himself. The show is so awesome and I firmly believe that if you teach a baby sign language they will pick up talking sooner and be able to make sentences before most kids will. I know some people who taught their kids a couple of words and said it was wonderful. When I found this show I was thrilled! Not only because Tyler would watch and it wasn't Blues Clues but because within 3 weeks or so Tyler could say his alphabet in order. He knew all of his letters before he was 2 but he didn't know how to say them in order and this show helped tremendously. Now he skips N and sometimes W but is otherwise perfect.

Any ways. One of the reason I wanted to write this was because one of the shows was teaching them the sign for Toys. It doesn't actually have a sign so you finger spell it out. Before Cody left on his trip Tyler came up to Cody who was sitting on the couch and said "Toys" and moved his fingers like he was spelling it! hhaha He knows LOTS of signs for things but the letters he doesn't get how to do himself yet. Cody and I started laughing because we realized what he was doing. After Cody left Tyler and I were looking at a book he had never read before. There was a toy chest on one of the pictures and there was no way of Tyler knowing what it was a head of time. I saw that it had TOYS written on it so I decided to test him. I said, "Hey Tyler what does this say?" Then I spelled out "T-O-Y-S?" He said "Toys!" Freaking awesome! I was so excited.

One of the best things for Cody and I is when we are sitting in church trying to listen or be quiet and all of the sudden Tyler shows us a red crayon and yells, "RED" and does the sign for it! He knows how to sign like 8 or 9 colors. Any ways....I'm not trying to brag ( okay maybe a little ) but really I just wantg encourage people to try the show! Really it's such a good show for a kid to watch. Its good for parents as well because nothing is better then when you are trying to teach a kid to be quiet during sacrament them being able to sign to them "book" or "yellow". It is fantastic. I am suddenly remembering that I may have already written a blog about this already. If I have just humor me. I'm making a slide show on photobucket and the TV was keeping Tyler up from his nap so I decided to write in here while I waited for stuff to upload. I am excited about the slide show I am making though. It's some of my photography and I wanted to put it on here. Okay I think I will go now. I can't wait because Cody comes home in exactly one week! WOO HOO

2 comments:

kailiaelf said...

That is awesome! I am so glad that it is working for you. Ethan will kinda sign along when he watches it, and I catch him all the time doing the sign for alligator, but that's about it. I need to play it for him more!

Allison said...

Wow, what a smart boy. We did a couple of signs with Amaya, but now all she does is the sign for more for everything. I need to start it all back up again. I bet she is at an age now that she'll really pick it up.